Ping pong is probably the only game that people play at schools, colleges, clubs, homes, and offices. There is an increasing tendency to play the game, which is why there are so many indoor and outdoor table tennis tables. However, you must know how to waterproof a ping pong table at home when the initial coating has worn away.
Even if you buy one of the best Ping pong tables for your game, it will become susceptible to moisture and rain. These Ping pong tables will stay resistant to the elements of nature like snow, rain, or humidity for about a year.
They can become affected by moisture overnight. The best way to avoid this is to waterproof your tables. The question on your mind certainly is whether you can do it and if so, can you do it at home? You can undoubtedly weatherproof your ping pong table at home.
What is the Method to Weatherproof your Table Tennis Table?
The best way to permanently waterproof a ping pong table is to coat it with a polyurethane sealer. It is necessary to apply the coating on the table and undercarriage separately if you want to protect your table completely from moisture. In this article, we will see both the methods in detail.
Things you Need to Coat the Table Top
- Polyurethane Sealant
- Sand Paper (100 grit to 150 grit)
- A piece of cloth
1. Polyurethane Sealant
There are other types of sealants, like acrylic sealants. But it is best to use polyurethane sealant because others can affect the life of your ping pong table. Among the polyurethane sealants, you have three different brands you can choose from.
1. Minwax 630500444 Water Based Helmsman Spar Urethane
It’s an ideal ping pong table sealant for outdoor use. Its UV protection feature can reduce the greying or fading effect caused by the sun.
There are special oils in this product that allow it to expand and contract when the wood goes through seasonal changes. This crystal-clear product is good light-colored wood and cleans quickly with warm water. Check more details at Amazon here.
2. Rain Guard Water Sealers SP-8002 Wood Sealer Concentrate
It is a water repellent coating that you can use for outdoor wood products. It protects wood from rain, snow, and moisture.
It doesn’t alter the appearance of the surface and protects the paint from fading with UV blockers. This product can be easily mixed with water and applied using a sprayer or brush. You can find more product details at Amazon.
The Wooster Brush Q3208-2 Softip Angle Sash Paintbrush is ideal for use when you wonder how to waterproof a ping pong table using a PU sealant. Its soft nylon bristles in white and gold color are suitable for use with latex and oil-based products. The brush comes with a brass-plated steel ferrule and solid plastic handle in angle sash style. You can buy this product from Amazon.
3. Sand Paper (100 – 150 Grit)
You can use the 3M 9019 General Purpose Sandpaper sheets for sanding the table after applying the sealant for making the application even. This action also helps in bonding the sealant layers. The sandpaper comes with Aluminum Oxide mineral and is ideal for sanding wood. It is effortless to use for even those who don’t have experience in the job.
Procedure for Waterproofing a Ping Pong Table
The way you can waterproof your Ping pong table is just about four simple steps and further, we have tried to describe it in a very simple way so that you can easily comprehend the steps.
1. Preparing the Surface for Applying Sealant
The first step in how to make a ping pong table waterproof is to make the surface clean for applying the Polyurethane sealant.
- For this, you must start by removing the net from the table. You must then wipe the dust from the surface. Dust is the chief enemy for any kind of coating.
- It is always best to use microfiber because it will not leave any scratches on the surface. You can use a cleaner regularly for cleaning your table. A diluted solution of dish cleaning soap and water will also suffice.
2. Applying the Sealant On the Table Top
We have come to the most crucial step in this DIY waterproofing ping pong table procedure, which is applying the PU sealant on the surface.
Applying the sealant is to create a barrier between the atmosphere and the table so that moisture and water cannot affect the wood.
This will not allow the surface to develop any bumps. The surface will not get bloated or damp. A fine brush is best to apply the product to the surface.
- It is wise to dip the brush in the sealant and ensure that the excess flows back into the jar so that there is no dripping.
- You can start from a corner and go along the edges first. Once you have dragged till the sealant is fully applied, you can flip the brush and use the other side.
- You can reverse your stroke to give an extra coat to the area you have painted.
- When you move to a new place, blend the strokes with where you have already applied so that there are no demarcations where you have stopped.
- Once you have completed both the upper and lower side, it is best to let it dry for about 8 hours.
3. Sanding the Table
Once you have let the sealant dry completely, it is time to even out the surface. As you have painted using a brush, there will undoubtedly be uneven areas of sealants.
- In this step of waterproofing the tabletop, you must use sandpaper of 100 to 150 grit.
- It is wise to start with the bumpiest place. You can find this by looking at the surface with eyes at the level of the table. Starting from such uneven places will help you create a surface that is even.
- Once finished, you must remove the dust and other particles by brushing or using a hand vacuum.
4. Completing the Waterproofing Process
You must repeat the process 4-5 times to get several layers of sealant on the surface. Once you have finished with the tabletop, the next step in how to weatherproof a ping pong table is to make the undercarriage resistant to moisture. This part is made of metal and is prone to rusting after some time, even if it is coated with aluminum.
- You can use a quality rust converter cum primer to prevent corrosion.
- Once you have completed this, you can straightaway paint the surfaces.
Can Waterproofing Damage Your Ping Pong Table?
There is no harm to your table surface from using polyurethane sealant. When making a ping pong table waterproof, you must ensure that you apply at least 4 or 5 coatings, without which the seal will not give the protection you desire.
Further, it is also essential that you sand the surface between layers so that there is no dust or other particles that can prevent the coating from completing bonding with the earlier layer.
1. Can I convert an indoor table into an outdoor table?
You cannot convert an indoor table into an outdoor one since the constructions are different. We can use an indoor table outside for a short period. But you must take care that direct sunlight doesn’t fall on it because it can badly affect the tabletop.
They make an outdoor table with enough coating to protect it from the elements of nature. They have protection from moisture and UV rays of the sun. But this coating can wear off over time, and that is when you will need to seal the ping pong table against moisture.
2. What do you seal a Pong table with?
The best way to water seal ping pong tables is to use spar urethane, available in different brand names. The advantage of spar urethane is that it contains more oil than polyurethane, making it more flexible. It is better to coat wood because it will expand or contract with wood according to the seasons.
Maintaining even the best Ping pong tables in perfect condition for a long is a tough job. Most of the original coatings on the tables last only for a year. Nobody can afford to change their table tennis tables every year, considering that outdoor tables can be quite expensive.
However, there are ways in which you can protect your tables from the elements of nature. Giving it a protective coat once a year is the best way to keep your table fit for an excellent game.
It is also advisable to keep the ping pong table covered when not in use so that direct sunlight or rain doesn’t damage it. You can easily find many good ping pong table covers on Amazon to choose from.